Thursday, June 8, 2017

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back For The Atari VCS By Parker Brothers



Like many guys of my age, I grew up with a love for Star Wars, and a love for the Atari 2600. But, in those early days of the Atari VCS, we didn't really have a true Star Wars game to play on the console. Sure, you could pretend you were piloting the Millennium Falcon through that asteroid field while playing Asteroids on the 2600, but it really wasn't the same. What you really wanted was an official Star Wars game, a Lucasfilm endorsed product, and a game where you were really piloting something that really existed in the movies, and really fighting those Imperial baddies. 

Well, in 1983 my dreams came true, and I was given this cartridge. A scrolling shooter, similar to Defender, but nowhere near as good. But, in the game's defense, the ten year old me couldn't possibly have been any happier. You play as Luke Skywalker, piloting your Snowspeeder, and fighting the Imperial AT-ATs. And, that's all there is to it. No, really, that's all there is to it. Well, there is slightly more to it, as you are attempting to protect the Rebel base power generators, but that's really not saying much. 



When I began collecting Atari games again a couple of years ago, this was one of the first cartridges that I really wanted to obtain yet again. Once I found a copy of it, I wondered why I was so desperate to find it in the first place. Because, seriously, so many other video games do exactly the same thing, but in many cases much better than this. There's nothing wrong with this game, but there really isn't anything special about it either. I guess the entire attraction was just the Star Wars name alone. Well, nowadays I'm more partial to Star Trek, and this game has not aged well. 

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back was one of a handful of Star Wars related video games that Parker Brothers (yes, the board game people) made for the 2600. None of them are excellent. But, if you can find them for cheap, they are all worthy additions to any respectable Atari collection, if for no other reason than their historical value.



Eventually, I will write a review for the Star Trek games for the Atari VCS too, it's a much smaller list. Officially, I think it's only one game, but with a bit of imagination the list can be considered longer, and better than the official Star Wars games as well.

-Jay



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday...

On September 11, 1977 the Atari Video Computer System was released to store shelves and the hearts of children everywhere. The Atari VCS, o...